02 November 2011

DIY Tile Coasters

by Veronica

Coasters are a fun way to play with your home's decor. Just because they're small and practical, doesn't mean they can't be pretty!

This project is super easy - done in only 6 steps! It's a project for all skill levels and doesn't take much time to complete.

I've seen this project done many times over the years and when I saw someone post her coasters on Pinterest, I was inspired to create my own.

Here's how you can create your very own tile coasters:

1. Gather your materials
  • Tile - I've seen it done with 4" x 4" tiles. Mine are 4.25" x 4.25" You can find these at your local hardware store. Very cheap!
  • Patterned paper cut to size (I used 4" x 4" paper to allow for a 1/4" border. I recommend you don't stamp on your paper or use anything that you printed yourself as it may smudge).
  • Mod Podge (glossy or matte - your choice)
  • Foam Brush
  • Felt or cork circles for bottoms (to protect your tables from the tiles)
  • Clear Sealer Spray
2. Cover your tile with a thin (but not skimpy) coat of Mod Podge.

3. Place your paper on the 'podged' coaster. Don't take too long to get it straight! You only have a couple of seconds.

4. After a few minutes, 'podge' your coaster (with the paper on it). Let dry and repeat (I podged mine 3 times).

5. After your Mod Podge is dry, turn your coaster upside down and apply felt or cork circles.

6. Spray your coasters to seal them. Do this in a well-ventilated area!!!

It's that easy! Why not make coasters to match your seasonal decor?

         
Christmas Coasters
Fall Coasters

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you've been inspired!

If you're interested to see what else I've found on Pinterest, click here to follow my pin boards!

- Veronica

1 comment :

  1. Great coaster Veronica!!! I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, but the tiles I have are so big, maybe I can make a hot plate with them or use vinyl or something. Anyway, great job! Nice to inexpensive enough to be able to have them for all sorts of holidays & seasons.
    Puppy Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your feedback and hope you were inspired!