07 February 2013

MCT Designer Challenge: Emboss!

by Veronica

Today, my fellow MCT Designer, Nikki of Scrappin' Navy Wife is challenging us to create a project with embossing: wet, dry or both!

One of the many things I'm looking forward to when The Hubs and I start our family is making little trinkets for our kids to bring to school. While my Other Half is happy to bring baked goodies into work (and his coworkers are more than happy to eat them), I don't think I could convince him to bring Valentines in for all of his fellow Software Engineers. *giggle*

Since we are waiting to have children of our own, I decided to 'borrow' a kid this year for Valentine's Day. My niece, Evelyn, is in Kindergarten and is super excited to bring Valentines in for her classmates. I picked her up from school the other day so we could sit down and make them ourselves.

I originally found this great idea on Pinterest for a fun Valentine and thought it was a great idea for each Valentine to come with a friendship bracelet. Evy thought it was a good idea, too. So off to the store we went to select colors for the bracelets. I reminded Evy that the bracelets had to be for both girls and boys, and she did a great job in picking out colors that worked well for both!

Apparently, I've got a lot of learnin' to do about kids. Teaching a 6-year-old how to braid sounded like a good idea at first.

At first.

She quickly lost interest and asked if I could just braid them. Since I've still not mastered the whole "patience is a virtue" thing, I agreed that it would be a good idea if I braided while she cut out shapes.

Guess what? She got bored of that pretty quickly, too. My dream of crafting with my precious niece while we talked about boys in her class and giggled was quickly slipping down the drain. Oh well.

So now I'm left to make the 24 Valentines on my own. But it's no big deal because I know how excited she'll be when handing them out to her friends. *smile*




For the Valentine, I cut out my base shapes using MCT's XL Label Die & Stitched XL Label Die. I then embossed the Stitched XL Label shape with the Chevron Impressions Folder by Stampin' Up! The saying on the card was printed from my computer (using the Grandma font). I punched the holes with my Crop-a-Dile and slipped the bracelet through and knotted it. I'll have Evelyn sign her name on the back of the card.

Be sure to check out what the other designers have in store for you today on Emma's blog. While you're there, feel free to play along and submit a link to your embossed project!

I hope you were inspired!

- Veronica

9 comments :

  1. aaawwww what a ca-ute idea. Gosh wished I'd been there to learn a thing or two or three from U!!
    I can tell you'd B a lot of fun to hang with first off 'cause you love kids but you sure came up with one fun idea for your Valentine wow you sure are creative and whole lot of talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME job with your project Veronica!i LOVE the color and embossing,Have a great day my friend!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! This turned out so cute! Love the story - reminds me so much of experiences with Eric growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, super cute. Her classmates will love them. Yea, I borrowed my 10 year old niece and tried to get her into crafting this summer...she told me, "although I like what you do Auntie, I don't have the patience to do what you do" Well! Guess she told me LOL. I have to give her credit for being honest and I wasn't really offended cause I no longer tried to make her like something. We decided to swim in the pool instead. LOL TFS --C

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! I am sure the kids will love them!

    Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evy will love handing these sweet Valentines out and will remember helping make them. Maybe 6 is a little young for large crafting projects...try a smaller one with her when she is 8 and see how that goes. She might be ready then. Great idea and the cards look wonderful.
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids go at there own pace. And yes you need lots of patience. But it is all fun. Cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veronica ~ What a CUTE idea for your nieces class!! LOVE the dies you used to attach them for her to hand out! What an AWESOME aunt you are!!! Okay welcome to your first future taste of motherhood! LOL!!! I am sure as time goes by she will totally want to do these things with you ~ how couldn't she ~ your a COOL and CREATIVE aunt! LOVE it and good luck getting them done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! Love the dies! uper excited about this release! Thanks for sharing!
    Glenda
    slatsinhi@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your feedback and hope you were inspired!